Clintons Inspire LMU Students to Commit to Action at CGIU

cgiu award 240x300 - Clintons Inspire LMU Students to Commit to Action at CGIU cgiu lashyra bill clinton 240x300 - Clintons Inspire LMU Students to Commit to Action at CGIU

In March, nine Loyola Marymount University students traveled to Miami for the Clinton Global Initiative University meeting, which was hosted by President Bill Clinton, Secretary Hillary Clinton and Chelsea Clinton.

To attend the event in Miami, more than 30 LMU students proposed a “Commitment to Action” project focused on education, environment, human rights, poverty or public health. In Miami, students attended workshops focused on their area of interest to build skills, identify potential partnerships and network with world leaders.

“These nine students were inspired by President and Chelsea Clinton and international speakers,” said Pam Rector, director of the Center for Service and Action. “Networking with other student participants and experts was one of the best ways for students to gain support for their commitment to action projects.”

Through the CGIU Network, more than $900,000 was provided to select students to help them turn their ideas into action.

Lashyra Nolen, a sophomore from Rancho Cucamonga, was one of 1,000 student leaders at the conference, and part of LMU’s first CGIU Network cohort. LMU is one of 70 colleges to be a part of the Network and the only Jesuit institution.

“CGIU gave me the framework to combine my interest in medicine and my passion to make a change in my community,” said Nolen, who is building a program to combat obesity among mothers living in San Bernadino County.

“I left CGIU with so many resources,” added Nolen, who was raised by a single mother. “She taught me how to eat well. It is my duty to her to take the opportunity to help other mothers.”

Nolen credits LMU for the opportunity.

“I just love our school,” said Nolen, who is a member of Belles service organization and recently participated in an Alternative Break to Nicaragua. “The experiences LMU provides are once in a lifetime. And I took a selfie with President Clinton.”